What's your key price?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's your key price?

Post by Oxz on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:51 pm

After the recent key price hike, key sales are all over the place in terms of pricing.
Where are you selling them? Outpost solds would be nice accompaniment.
Oxz
Mildly Menacing Contributor

Location : lo·ca·tion [loh-key-shuhn] noun 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your key price?

Post by Shinobu! on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I don't sell the keys i get, I usually buy them,I usually buy them 7 refs to 7.11 refs. But if i get to sell it would be the same price, 7 refs to 7.11 refs
Shinobu!
Godlike Caker
Godlike Caker

View user profile http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Knightmare on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Key prices have never changed and will never change.  They will change temporarily during temporary Valve interventions, such as the Summer Sale, which causes a demand shock, but unless Valve chooses to intervene permanently (which they of course won't unless they go bankrupt or want to kill the economy), then key prices will never change.

What you are actually talking about is the exchange rate between two different TF2 currencies, the refined metal versus the TF2 Keys.  This means that it is not the key prices that are rising in value, but simply the refined metal dropping in value, which makes perfectly sense.

The reason for refined metal dropping in value is simple: as every minute goes by, the amount of refined metal in the market increases, because it is a time-generated good.
Knightmare
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinobu! on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Knightmare wrote:Key prices have never changed and will never change.  They will change temporarily during temporary Valve interventions, such as the Summer Sale, which causes a demand shock, but unless Valve chooses to intervene permanently (which they of course won't unless they go bankrupt or want to kill the economy), then key prices will never change.

What you are actually talking about is the exchange rate between two different TF2 currencies, the refined metal versus the TF2 Keys.  This means that it is not the key prices that are rising in value, but simply the refined metal dropping in value, which makes perfectly sense.

The reason for refined metal dropping in value is simple: as every minute goes by, the amount of refined metal in the market increases, because it is a time-generated good that is not purchasable.

Well, if the refined metal is dropping, why the hats and misc don't increase in price? For me, the hats are not increasing price but decreasing.
Shinobu!
Godlike Caker
Godlike Caker

View user profile http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Knightmare on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:22 pm

All the droppable hats and miscs will continue to drop in price due to the same reason why refined metals are dropping.  Actually, in general all hats and miscs will continue to drop in price because they will always lose demand as time progresses (one simple reason, but not the main reason, to understand that is due to the constant release of new hats and miscs --> more hats/miscs to choose from --> decrease in demand of any one hat/misc).  

The above is true for any type of hat/misc, including unusuals and genuines.   The only exception to this are items that are actually a form of currency, which is the earbud.
Knightmare
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clair on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 am

EXCEPT FOR, OF COURSE, THE BURNING TEAM CAPTAIN! XD. jkjk Hmm, interesting topic, do go on
Clair
Totally Ordinary Contributor
Totally Ordinary Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Knightmare on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm

What's there to go on about?
Knightmare
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikari on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 am

Key price? 2ref if I wanna buy em. JK that was before now it's erm 6.66ref and I sell for 7.33ref xD

Hikari
Unremarkable Contributor
Unremarkable Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeigneR on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I miss that time that they were 5ref for 2 of them...
ForeigneR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Knightmare on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 am

Yeah, if you take a look at the exchange rate trend between the keys and the refined metal, you can see there is an exponential growth up until the end of last year.  From the time-dependent explanation I pointed out above, it does not predict that exponential growth rate (since time-dependent means it is a linear function of time, assuming player base and time played is constant, which is a perfectly reasonable assumption because player base has been fairly steady and Valve nerfed idling almost a year ago).  

There are many reasons to better explain the above exponential growth rate than the time-dependent good explaination, but they all require an understanding in economics, namely macroeconomics.

One key reason is due the theory of self-fulfilling prophecy, catalyzed by a virtual spreadsheet known as Backpack tf.  What this basically says is that, if the majority of the people predicts that the exchange rate of keys and refined metals will go up, then they will go up (aka if you think something will happen, then it will happen).

This is also one of the many reasons to prove that having a spreadsheet like backpack tf is extremely bad for any economy.
Knightmare
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny <3 Aristicus on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I remember when keys were 4 ref...... AAHH those days
Penny <3 Aristicus

Location : Meriden, Connecticut, United States, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/ytiinstrumentals

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtDropBear on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:05 am

Penny The Peanut wrote:I remember when keys were 4 ref...... AAHH those days
I remember when they were 2.66. Apparently AGES ago, 2 ref was a scam. Now? 7 ref. xD

gg no re

SgtDropBear
Epic Contributor
Epic Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NoobWithNoHats on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:24 pm

I rarely touch keys, but I usually buy for 7.11 and sell to scrap.tf.

NoobWithNoHats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top